2/02/2016

travel2japan #12 the orientation camp I

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#12 the orientation camp I
Real date: March 22th

Oh my god, only one day is over, it was both so long and so short and now, I am going to tell ybout it. So, I left the plane and first had to fill in some form, Karina already got during the flight (with the tax- items- paper). The Japanese were very nice and helpful and we have to hand in this form (so that we do not carry "bad items" to Japan) and then we got our luggage and we had to show the form again (let me just say: There were quite a lot of papers and forms to fill in and to show). (All this post- flight- stuff seemed to pass so fast in my head, I remember it taking way more time at the return flight.)

We went out and met WYS (the organization). The women, I had talked with in the interview was waiting for us. There was also another girl from Germany, who drove here with another German organization. We send our luggage to to our host families (I was so confused at the post- shop at the airport) and wenth to the seccond terminal to meet the other students. The WYS staff (my counselor, F- san) spoke mostly English (puuh) and sometimes a bit Japanese.
Once we met the other students (all very nice) (we introuduced ourselves to everyone and I was kinda so frightened, because some of them seemed to be pretty good in Japanese already. On the other hand, they were sitting there drawing pointless scribbles and I ws kinda confused. I wish, I had been a bit more relaxed and less panicing for no reason) we could go around the airport. Karina, the other German girl and me went around together (I think, the other students jsut stayed at their places and we were the only ones walking around.) I buyed a Pepsi. Very Japanese. With the other students, we only spoke English, what was okay. (Then I wrote a not understandable word in Japanese. I think, it should mean "okay" in Japanese)
A photo, I took on the way to the youth hostel
Then, we travelled to the youth hotel and Oh My God, Tokyo is so big. (Tokyo is actually big, but not that big. I thought, the Narita airport would be in Tokyo, but in fact, it is in Chiba, what increases the distance.) I became very tired and first tried to do vocablurary and then tried no sleep. Neither really worked. (I remember sitting it the very back of this bus full of talking people (some in Japanese) and being so incredibly tired. I did, however, want to keep on track with my vocablurary as well and tried but I just could not concentrate at all. It wasn't so great.)
When we arrived there, I slowly realized that about everyone speaks very, very good Japanese. I have to study a lot.
In the room, we got a big folder containing a lot information (about the preparation camp as well as about the homestay in Japan- it was really helpful) Every single paper was put into a slide, it must've taken so long to prepare this folders.
They (the WYS staff) first introuduced us to the schedule and rules. Then, we got information about the youth hotel and the rooms, where we are staying. Then we had to do a brief self- introuduction in Japanese. I would say that mine was good, but it was okay. After that, we could take notes for a better self- introuduction and we could have a talk with our counselor. I asked my counselor about the mobile phone. I could lend it or buy it with a credit card. I think, I will lend it.
Then, I got some help for my self- introuduction by an inbound student (from the USA). (The inbound students also introuduced themselves).
Then, we finally had dinner, we were so hungry! One could choose dinner and I chosed curry and it was too spicy.
Then, we had to fill in a form with our expectations of our exchange. I wrote a lot. Then, we should go to our rooms, but I (refused to just follow the bulk and) couldn't find mine, so I asked a really nice Japanese. (I was freaking out again and this Japanese people were just so nice and helpful- it's amazing!)
Then we bathed (We actually did just shower, but I would've like to bath (but did not want to do it alone)) I am so tired and I just want to sleep.
(I remember that I did not have the key for our room, but another girl, who was still bathing had, so I waited sitting on a heater with another student and two staffs and nervously folding my clothes. They talked mostly Japanese and I couln't really participate and felt stupid. Then, my counselor wanted to ask me about "the form", but I could not remember a form, we talked about, at all. After a little while of confusion, it turned out, that she intended to say "the phone")
Now I also understand why you should not pack your backpack too full; in the plane,you get a box and here, you get a whole folder- it's incredible. The toilets here are really funny.
I somehow woke up at 2 AM and thought, it would be morning. So, I waited for my alarm to ring, but as it did not ring, I looked at my mobile and say the time.

I hope, you liked this part
<--previous part (#11 the first flight II)
next part (#13 Harajuku, a shrine and Japanese students)-->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!