2/19/2016

travel2japan #15 the first day with my host family


Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#15 the first day with my host family
Real date: March 24th

Today,  I woke up at 6 o'clock. We packed our stuff and went to breakfast. Here, I have to wait in building D till 9 o'clock so I stayed and sayed goodbye to the others. I feel a bit sick; partly, because I ate so much breaksfast, because I will not have food till I am with my host family at about 4 o'clock and partly, because I have become so good friends with the others  and don't want to leave.  Now, I will go to block B to help people fold pillows (I think, they just searched a way to engage be to shorten my waiting time).

(Written in (horrible) Japanese) From now on, I will try to write in Japanese. It is a good practice and I can see my progress in Japanese. But, because I am writing in Japanese, this diary will fill quickly and I will have to buy a new one in time. (I do not really understand this argument)
(Back in English) I did help people folding. It was good to talk to people and do something- Then, I went to the classroom, folded pillows again and went to another classroom. nearly all of the other students were  already picked up by their host families. In the other classroom, me and another exchange student (from Norway) took care at the Japanese students, who took a English test. (We had to ensure that they would not cheat, but I bet they would not have also without our presence)
Then, everyone should make a speech about his aim. (I remember beign so frightened for this because I somehow was only with students, who already spoke Japanese pretty good, but in they end, it was okay, though) my speech wasn't very informative. Then, I waited for my counselor to pick me up but as she had a lot to do, I had to wait and talk a lot with the Japanese students and inbound students. One student (the girl from norway) told me to not give up.
Then, finally, my counselor arrived and picked me up. I had to buy a ticket and we had to change trains very often (at the beginning, I was really confused by the Japanese train system). We talked a lot and she was very friendly. I think, her eyebrows make her look agressive.
At another station, she told me to sit down (While typing this, I can still feel the excitement and fear,- this is intense!) and wait for my hostmother. I had just sat down, when my counselor said excitedly, that she had come. We greated each other (I think, we bowed) and they talked. My hostmother asked, whether I can speak Japanese and I said "a bit". (Before this, I understood at least a bit of their speech but after that, it was kind of ruined because I understood nothing at all and did not feel very great). My counslor took a photo of me with my picture of the Kanji, I draw. (Before, she showed the picture to my hostmother ("sugoi" (english: "great))) and left.
We went away. During the train ride, I felt really bad. We tryed to talk. She started with Japanese, but I mostly didn't understand. Then, she tried English but because of her prounounciation and the train noise, I did not really understand that either. (I remember two questions, I indeed did understand: She asked me, whether I like cats (about three times or so) and whether I know Munich (a German city)) I felt so bad for her, because she excepted a nice, Japanese- speaking girl and got a silent not- understanding- whatever.
We arrived at the home town and somehow went through a supermarket without buying something (as it later turned out, this market was the only exit to the parking lots) She asked me whether I want to have Cola (my favorite drink) but I sayed "no". (to be polite)
Then we went in the car and drove home. She asked me (ok, she already asked me that at the train station) whether I had heard about the plane crash in Germany. Actually, I had seen this in the youth hostel's TV, but I didn't really understand it; 14 people died, the plane was from germanwings and crashed on the way to France. When I think of being in a plane only a few days ago, I feel scared.
(From now on, my diary is written entirely in Japanese. That means, there are going to be simple and sometimes crappy and weird sentences. My Japanese really was not the best at the beginning but I'll try my very best) After that, we arrived at the house of my host family. It is pretty and tidy. We got in. My hostmother showed me the house. Some parts look similar to a German house. But in Japan, they have a lot of slide doors. The whole house is tidy and a bit old- fashioned. It is pretty :) Ant there are tatami mats in the 'traditional room'. They are interesting. The house consists of the following rooms: entrance, kitchen, living room, a seccond door, my room, the workroom, a small and a bigger bathroom, two small storerooms and the room of my hostparents.
 My host mother explained the house rules to me. They are not very strict. (I had really expected them to be very strict) I cannot speak Japanese but that is okay.
My hostmother prepared dinner. (I wanted to help, but I did no have to. I don't understand, I think, cooking is fun (obviously, my hostmother wanted me to relax a bit)) The food was a bit unusual but tasty. But I did not understand, what my hostmother was asking me. She asked a lot of questions,but I only gave small answers. Furthermore, my luggage arrived. (At the airport, a set time of when it will arrive was written at its sign and it arrived at this exact time- fascinating). I unpacked and realized that I had brought four pairs of shoes in total. Four! But I kept two pairs in my suitcase, till the separture.
After that, I took a shower and slept. Because I wrote so much in my diary, I am very tired now.
(It is really hard to translate this Japanese sentences. Bute here you have my first day at my host family's place.)


I hope, you liked this part
<--previous part (#14 the last day of the orientation camp)
next part(#16 Meeting my host father ang going to the beach)--> 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!