4/13/2016

travel2japan #36 obento

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba wit
h a host family. 

I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#36 obento
Real date: April 15th, Wednesday

Today was the first day; I started writing diary in school (in the library). Today morning, I studied from 5 o'clock to 5:45 with Anki. I wanted to study till 6 o'clock but I did not because I was too tired. So I slept till 6:25 and stayed in bed till 6:40.

Today's breakfast was tasty! It was an apple, bread with jam, mashed eggs with ketchup, sousauge and vegetable juice. In front of the house, Wakari san made a photo of me in the school uniform. The weather is good, but in the weather forecast, it was said that it will rain today.
I arrived at school early. My homeroom teacher talked about a 'study support' on Saturday. Because I did not really understand, I later asked the teacher, who told me that as it is a test, I do not have to come. The teacher also asked me, whether I want to buy (expensive!) pins of the school (with the school name and my class).
The first lesson was biology. We prepared compunds and drew a picture of them. In the biology room, there is seriously an aquarium with fishes. Astonishing!
Next, I went with Amber in the library and studied there while she is reading.
I want to have LINE (Japanese WhatsApp) on my smartphone, but I did not yet work out how to do it.
Life here is kind of.. becoming normal. Obviously, every day is still interesting and exciting but I am getting used to it slowly. Sometimes, I think that my honeyman stage is over.
Japanese English is interesting. I, for example, often heard the word 'homestay' (as a word for 'student exchange).
Ooh. My biology teacher just walked in and gave me a present. Really! He gave be photos (he is the photography club teacher, I think of (koi) fishes. They are very beautiful. This is very nice but I wonder, why he is doing this? Because I am an exchange student? I do not really understand, but it is very nice of him. My next period will be mathematics, after that I have English and then is lunch break. I am looking forward to my obento (lunchbox).
In 5 minutes, I will go to mathematics. I should write something. The math teacher lend me a book.
Then, I had English class. There, the Japanese students are very silent and shy.
For lunch, I went to another group of people, who I talked a bit to. Tomoroow, I want to eat with the group of people, I can talk best with. I originally wanted to eat only half the obento (lunchbox) and leave the rest for later but I eventually ate the whole obento.
Japanese people have an amazing electronic dictionary. In there, there are not only translations but also a lot of pages and information about certain things, even about history! In a girl's electronic dictionary I even saw German phrases, I like Japan! <3
After lunch, I went to Fine Arts class, where I was the first student to arrive. We copied a picture from a book with ink. In arts class, nobody is speaking, seriously everyone is silent. I wonder if it is like this at primary school as well (?).
Then, we had homeroom class. I did not understand a lot, but there is some event at the first of May at 16:45.
Then, I went to the club, but I was hungry and sleepy.
At home, I did school stuff. Because we have to search for flower pcitures for Fine Art class, I was at the computer. Wakari san said that today's dinner will be at 7:40.
(talking about Japanese kanji) I somehow only study Japanese by writing or reading.
Dinner was tasty. I think, the eating culture is diffrent here. In Germany, I often eat a lot of small portions so I now have to get used to eating only at meal time.
Wakari san taught me to make onigiri (rice balls); Firstly, you dunk you hands in water and scatter some salt on them. You pick about a hand full of rice and form a ball with a hole, in which you put the fish or bean. After closing the hole, you role the ball to a round triangle. Now, you take two 'sheets' of nori (algae paper) and roll in round the rice ball. Great! It is so tasty! I made a shark fish onigiri for tomorrow, what I am looking forward to!

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (#35 misunderstandings)

Next part (#37 Gyouza & home economics class) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!