4/18/2016

travel2japan #41 Speaking Japanese

source

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba wit
h a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#41 Speaking Japanese 
Real date: April 20th, Monday

Today, I want to search for new photos of flowers at the PC. Today, I woke up at 5 o'clock and really wanted to stand up but somehow, I fell asleep again. Today's breakfast was an apple, cornflakes with milk, an onigiri (rice ball) and vegetable juice. It was delicious, but Wakari san only spoke to me in English. Why? If I always speak English in Japan, it is pointless to be here. I want to learn Japanese but if everone is speaking English, this is impossible. Wakari san herself said (when she picked me up at the station), that she wants to speak only Japanese with me but now, she is speaking more Enlgish. I always answer in Japanese but she then again speaks English. Why?
I think, I will not study today. After breakfast, I went to school.
In homeroom class, the teacher said that we will have a 'sports test' tomorrow (if it will not rain), so there will not be any classes.
In the first period, I went to the library (a bit tiredly) to study there. Then, we had biology. We had papers with gaps, where we should fill in words on a power presentation, the teacher showed us. But as the teacher was skipping the pages so quickly, I had problems writing everything down.
Then, I had Kendo lessons (Japanese swortfighting) This time, we actually trained with swords. It was fun :)
I ate lunch with a girl named Shiori and her friends. My obento (lunch box) consisted of rice with vegetables and eggs, salad with fish and meat and tomatos. The fish and the eggs were arranges very cutely. It was tasty! I love the rice here.
In the next lesson, I dutifully studied Japanese (I wrote Kanji (chinese characters))
The last class for today was music. Because I had no book, I did not really understand a lot.
Then, I went to the calligraphy room. Today, everone could buy materials for calligraphy (brushes, ink and bags for brushes) I bought two brushed for 2,700 yen (about 23 dollars) in total. The brushes are really huge but I think, they are very good.
So, at callgraphy club, I could finally write with my own brush. The teacher gave me some advice. I only wrote a bit today, but it was good. I also made a list of everones names (often with mnemonics) so I can study them as well as my classmate's names.
Todays dinner was very tasty but a lot. As for desert, I again ate this Pon pon icecream and this time did not spill it al over the room. And it was tasty. I think, it will be okay to give Wakari san my diary to read today. I think my Japanese is okay,
This evening, Wakari san send some photos to my e- mail adress, what is really nice. Wakari san also called Kouta san, who slepts at his other house near his workplace today. Wakari san and I really only spoke Japanese this evening! ^ ^
Now, I will take a shower. After that, Wakari san gave me back my diary, saying: 'It was very hard to read but there are sentences that are right'


No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!