6/12/2016

travel2japan #72 anger and the third realization

source
Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

 #72 anger and the third realization
Real date: May 21h, Thursday

I dreamed a weird dream. I kind of was in Berlin, where I met with my friends but had no souvenir gifts so I felt weird and they were angry at me. I phoned my family and said that I liked Berlin but they did not like it. Then, I said to one of my friends that I want to see Cathy Cat and one of them answered that she is arrogant and would not see me. I cannot remember how the dream went on.

After I woke up today, I read a bit and then went down in the kitchen. Wakari san tried to ask me whether I heard the 'sanda-' (thunder) tonight and got angry when I did not understand.
Then, we ate breakfast, that was really tasty. But I, again, ate, till I was feeling very full. -.-
Wakari san is really stupid, isn't she? For two month, I used to say 'Ima wa sha-wa- wo abimasu' (Now, I will take a shower). As it, however, turned out, it is right to say: 'Ima kara sha-wa- wo abimasu' (From now, I will take a shower). Why does she tell me that now? I got very used to the wrong expression now.
I texted my friends. Today, club activity will be till 4 o'clock. So, I guess, we will eat obentos (lunch boxes) together.
At school, I talked a bit with Ami. In June, there will be some project in English. Today is the mathtest for the students. Because it is longer than the usual tests, we will have a short homeroom lesson afterwards. I am looking forward to club activity.
I went to library an I felt tired. Amber read a book. I want to search for a comic, I can read. Wakari san will come home at 5 o'clock today. I want to go to the library and lend a book today. If I have time, I also want to buy some interesting sweets (of my list) at Kasumi (local food shop). As I want to go to Berlin this winter again, I really think about this town every day.
So, two month ago from today, I went to Japan. Isn't that astonishing? It feels short and long at the same time, weird. I really think that my understanding of the Japanese culture has improved. Maybe my Japanese did so as well? 
I have to be in this library for another hour, then club activity will start. It will last four hours and we will only write(?) Isn't that a bit long? Oh, we will also eat our obentos. Oh, shit, yesterday, I forgot to fill half of my obento in my other box. Maybe, I will be able to put some of today's dinner in my obento box. But this will be dicey, won't it?
It is weird with the money here. At home, I have the feeling that I buy very few things but the money diminished so fastly. Here, I buy a lot but I still have so much money. But I really only buy the things that I need. The money diary is really convenient. I might buy copic markers or manga at my last day here at the bookstore. Or something from Rilakkuma. It is still 40 minutes. It is boring here. I think that Disneyland is expensive. I want to go to Tokyo on my own to see the Skytree, the rock cafe and the zoo. Maybe, I can do this at the weekend when I go to Chiba with my friends but I do not know whether it is okay to not be with my host family for the whole weekend. But I still have a lot of weekends with my host family. Maybe, if I plan my trip to Tokyo, Wakari san will see that I can take responsibility. I will do so. The next time, I am on my own, I will make plans at the computer. And, If I buy some food every week, I can complete my whole list of foods I want to try. When I told my host family that I wanted to go the cinema, they said that I would not understand what is being said and should not go. But I want to go or to do something else with my friends.
Then, I went to homeroom class. As the tests were done, everyone was happy. We went to the gym, where the secondgraders got explained the subjects, they can choose in the third grade. It was long and boring for me. Somehow, the whole class has the same subjects or so.
I went to calligraphy club. As Kyoka and Ayama will go to Australia this summer, they had to go to a kind of meeting. At the club, we ate together but I only spoke a little :( I only ate the upper half of my obento to keep the lower half for tomorrow. Somehow, my stomach got full really quickly, but I ate the complete upper half. Arima and 2 other girls, however, were still hungry and went to a 7 11 shop in the near to get deserts.
The calligraphy teacher came and explained that, as the school festival is coming close, we will have to practice calligraphy on those big paper. While she made copies for me, I realized that club will be till 5 o'clock today and wrote Wakari san a message. She, however, responded angrily writing that I have to be home at 4 o'clock. So, after I got the copies, I had only time to draw a few Kanjis till I had to leave sadly the room. The teacher had also given me a magazin where the Kanjis I had to write, were displayed in. It was quite thrilling.
Now, I have been to Japan for two month and my Japanese has improved, I understand more, more things have become easier. Yet, there are still a lot of things that I do not understand and that are difficult. At the orientation camp, a lot of exchange students said that after two month or so, the 'culture shock phase' is over, but for me, it seems to be more than 2 month. Am I stupid?
When I came home, nobody was there. I did my usual stuff and after a while, Wakari san came home. She went in her room for a while and then made dinner. We talked a little. Dinner was tasty and afterwards, Wakari san read something (the TV was off- for the first time after dinner =)) and I wrote diary and texted my friends. We ate chocolate for desert. It was silent and peaceful and felt comfortable and really like being with a family.
I went to bed. I thought about a quote: 'We are just being born in this completed system' (Alpha Gun- Geboren, um zu sterben (Born to die)) and think that it is quite the truth. Being born in your own society and country, you adapt this society's rules without realizing it. They are being adapted so deeply that no one questions them but they have literally become our second nature. When we then, however,  travel to another country for a longer while and allow ourselves to adapt these country's rules, we not only find them stupid sometimes but also reflect our own rules that we did not even realize before.
It is interesting.

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (#71 the buffet)
Next part (#73 my regret) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!