6/19/2016

travel2japan #76 a sick trip

Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

travel2japan #76 a sick trip
Real date: May 25th, Monday

The obligatory posing in
front of the self- made obento
Today morning, I am feeling a bit sick. Because I kind of have sickness in the throat, I want to eat constantly to not feel it. Breakfast today somehow was amazingly tasty; bread with srcambled eggs (I somehow had to get the bread from the kitchen on my own), really delicious broccoli, tomatoes, onions and other vegetables. We started cooking and I had the feeling that I understood nothing at all. Somehow, I did everything wrong.
Wakari san drove Kouta san to the station. I did not really know what to do and cried a little. But in the end, it was okay what I did (cutting onions).
The obento has 3 layers: bottom: 6 fish onigiris (rice balls), 4 ume bean onigiris middle: some chicken meat with tomatoes, as for German food: some slices of beacon with potatoes  top: German food: potatoes with beacon, sauerkraut, onions and sausages. It is really huge and amazing. Then we cleaned the house.
As Wakari san brought me to the station by car, I was 20 minutes too early there. I met with Hisa who I then got on train with. We met with Kyoka and Ami in the last wagon and talked and laughed. Somehow, the ride was over soon.
koi fishes in front of the ice shop
from left to rigth: me, Ami, Hisa, Kyoka
Then, we arrived in Oohara. The station was really small and we went into an ice shop, but it was not the right one, they did not have lobster ice. So, we searched for the shop and asked people for the way. I talked with Ami and she told me stuff about her sister and her family. My Japanese was not really goof though. Finally, we found the shop, but as they had no lobster ice cream there, we just ate normal ice. I ate melon ice that was tasty. We then went to the beach but it was not beautiful at all, so we now searched for the Oohara park to eat out picnic on. We, again, asked people for the way and went around for a long time. My hay fever, meanwhile, had gone worse. I had only one pack of paper tissues with me and had used them up completely. I had a headache. I felt like seeing everything through a white curtain of sickness, like a white haze that dulls my view, numbs my mind and cuts me off from my surrounding. I could not really enjoy it anymore at all. We came across a temple, a forest and a shrine. I just wanted to sit down and eat. At a small wooden shelter, we rested a bit and ate from Hisas sweets. Then, we went along a half- forest, that was beautiful but we could not really enjoy it. We then sat down at a lawn in the near and just after I asked the second time: 'Is this place okay for everyone?', we finally ate. In Germany, we would have just sat down anywhere because we want to eat.
the landscape that I saw threw the white curtain
So, I put my huge obento on the lawn between us and said that everybody can eat from it. I think because of politeness, the others did so as well but I was the only one who also ate from their obentos (looking back, this is something, you really do not do. It would be like eating from another person's plate). The onigiris and the German (<3) food were so tasty, but everyone just ate a little whereas I ate quite a lot, I think. Everyone was astonished by the size of the sausages (because they only know short sausages and Kyoka ate a small sausage (I think, it was accidentally cut in half or so and I remember being really annoyed about Kyoka not at least trying this foreign food). But a lot of the food in my obento was left over. Kyoka, who I had told about the book I am reading at the time, gave me a box of yatsuhashi sweets (How can people be so nice?)It started raining a bit.
We returned to the station what somehow went really fast. But there, our train had just gone, so we waited for one hour at a bank in front of the station. Kyoka pulled out an origami book and origami paper and we did some origami what was really fun. Suddenly, a man came and gave me 2 of his self- made origami cats. They were really amazing and this man seemed like an origami expert. We talked a little to him. He then went back to his bag and came back with a little basket with origami hearts out of what everyone could pick one. He was really nice. I think, it is sometimes convenient to be a foreigner.
At the station: Aren't they cute?
Then, we entered the station and set down at the platform. Ami showed me something on her smartphone. Then, we saw a train arriving on another platform and realized that it was ours. We ran over some kind of bridge in the station to the other platform and catched the train. In there, we talked and Hisa slept a little. I also ate an onigiri (Ami and Kyoka laughed). The ride was quick. At the station, we met Aite from the tennis club who was on the way to a match with her team. I accompanied Hisa till the bicycle stands and then went into the library. There, I went on the toilet and ate the whole rest of the obento. At the end, I felt really, really sick.
I went to a 7 11, because I wanted to try a typical Japanese cake/ bread. I bought a cheap bread with 4 slices, but it tasted almost normal, a little like coffee probably..
At home, nobody was there. I checked my e- mails. Then I made a stroll and went to the shopping mall where I bought cards and sweets that I want to turn into goodbye cards. At home, I started writing them stackwise. Wakari san returned. She said that she had expected me to come home later. We talked a bit. My sickness had gone worse. Then we ate dinner that was tasty. As for desert, we tried Yatsuhashi. It was a triangle of very thin and smooth dough filled with bean cream, kind of tasty.
I, again, told Wakari san that I am having an allergy that is okay and that I do not have to take any medicine for it. I am really tired and we only talked a bit.
The evening was really not nice. I felt sick and used tons of tissues and my mouth was full of spit all the time. I wore my long pyama and a scarf what was really hot. All the food in my stomach made it feel so full and sick. I feel really sick

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (#75 misunderstandings and cream bread)
Next part (#77 family& friends) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!