7/08/2016

travel2japan #79 tea ceremony club

Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

travel2japan #79 tea ceremony club
Real date: May 28th, Thursday


Tonight, I somehow dreamed that I wrote messages with my smartphone with Kyoka. When I wake up (in the night) I, of course, had not touched my phone. This was weird.
My flu is still there. I am sometimes sneezing and blowing my nose. I got up at 6 o'clock as I overheard my 5 o'clock alarm as always. Wakari san was up at 7 o'clock and we talked just a little.
Breakfast was tasty, but it was too much and I am feeling full now. I read. Wakari san had prepared my obento (lunch box) already yesterday. I think, she is in a hurry.

So, today, the second half of my exchange starts. I know this whole thing of numbering everyday is a little stupid (It isn't.) but the feeling, that I tried so hard in the first half gives me Power now.
In my first time here, I struggles with being hungry all the time. Now, that is not the case and I am eating a lot, because I want to try a lot Japanese food (and while I am getting fuller, I am not getting fatter). So, I think, I can eat a lot :)
Because of this small (?) tests (math today), everyone is so busy and nobody speaks a lot with me. For the first period, I went to the library with Amber and studied. I am not sure about her Japanese (seriously, why was I so concerned about another person's language process?)
In half a week (on Saturday), I want to go to Tokyo to visit the Sky Tree, the Rock Cafe and the Tokyo tower. But I think, all of this places are big and faraway. Today evening, I want to look for this and make my laundry. The week after next week, my friends will not be that busy anymore, so I want to make something with them. Maybe, we can go to Kamokura. In my 'things I want to do in Japan'- list, my food list is the longest.
I do not know what to write about. It would have been better if I took my Kanji practice book.
The pencil case of a friend
I think, everybody is born into a society. And every society has rules that individuals in there adapt. As they are getting adapted and lived according to, the rules become normality for the people there. As everybody lives according to this rules, nobody questions them anymore and they become an area, outside of which living seems impossible for people in the society. Nobody can know their own rules, because they have become the impossible to leave living area for a person. Society's rules have become their ground of living and it is impossible to outbreak. Because the rules are made by the society, everyone lives according this society and people work to make the society exist and grow. So, when I came to Japan, these rules of my German society were normal for me. But here, they are not always normal and life outside of this rules is possible. I learn also new rules from the Japanese society, that I am adapting, sometimes questioning them. But I also started recognizing rules of the German society I lived according to and am now able to question. Maybe, this makes me more free. But when I come home, people in Germany will still be living according to this rules. I will live according to some German and some Japanese rules. This might become a problem. This living rules are really important for one's live and therefore hard to break. When I spoke to Kouta san a while ago, he told me that he cannot live without eating fish. He really could not imagine not eating it. This was, for example, a rule, I do not understand at all.
I went to crafts. The teacher talked to the student and the students talked a lot as well. I am almost finished with my basket, After this, I will sew a purse, I think. I want to try out a soba bread this lunch break. After crafts, I ate an onigiri. I am not hungry.
Then, I went back to the library. I had often looked at recipe books standing there. Today, I took a book about desert recipes and read it. I understood some things. It was interesting! I took a photo of things, I want to make sometimes (I almost photographed every page). As soon as the bell rang, I went to the bread shop and bought the soba bread. My obento was tasty. But the bread was really sweet and white whereas the noodles were fried and hearty what was a weird combination.
The next lesson was home economics. I could even answer a question ("Why do we eat?" "Because we are hungry") For the first time! I am happy =) In the second half of the lesson, we watched a video what made me want to cook. After that, people started making plans for the student trip in autumn and planned the trip. They had huge maps of Kyoto on their desks. I want to go there, too so badly. It seemed really fun and I want to go, too. Maybe in some holidays, I can go to Kyoto. I talked a lot with people. With Kyoka and Ami, I looked through some magazines. In Kyoto, there are a lot of things with green tea; ice cream, cake, drinks, shakes, bread.. Then, we cleaned the biology room.
After that, I went to the tea ceremony club for the first time. They really have a tea ceremony room in here! It looks amazing! We went in there and I talked to some people. Ester came. A little later came a thirdgraders. I knew here, she was the girl, I had met at Daiso (one coint store) once and shared sweets with. Next to the teacher, there was also a 'special teacher', who was not from our school. Then, we got to see a whole tea ceremony, performed by Hisa. There are a lot of rules how to stand, sit or hold things. But the 'special' teacher was really annoying. She corrected Hisa all the time and I could not enjoy the ceremony. We got served tasty green tea and before that, some kind of tasty candy. But we had to sit on our knees the whole time and at the end, I could barely feel my foot anymore (I remember pricking my foot sole and feeling nothing. I had the feeling that I was pricking a puppet) When standing up, it really hurt and felt weird. It was, however, a great first time of tea ceremony club.
I left a little earlier. I like walking through the school. I came home and was the first to arrive but Wakari san came quickly. I told her about the club (Weirdly, this was one of the very few days, she asked me about my club this day) and we watched TV. When I told her that I wanted to go to Tokyo on Saturday, she got a little angry, I think. But she had brought me a magazine about the Tokyo skytree from Kasumi (supermarket) I think, I somehow should take a sightseeing bus there. As Kouta san had never visited the skytree, we might go there together. We ate dinner. I ate tasty dessert (some rosin cake Wakari san got from her calligraphy course) I think, the Yatsuhashi are almost overdue.
I made laundry and felt happy. The communication is really easier now.
Wakari san seriously called my counselor because of my flu. She asked me if I am taking medication.
I think it would be better if I stayed here longer. I could make more experience and travel more. Today was a happy day.

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (#78 halftime)
Next part (#80 good) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!